Ford Focus 2008: Cruise control disengaging
- Ford Focus
- Ford Focus 2008
- Ford Advice
- Ford Focus Reviews
- Ford Hatchback Range
- Ford Sedan Range
Asked by Neil Ferguson
The cruise control in my 2008 Ford Focus often disengages when the car is either under load or going up reasonably steep hills. It doesn't appear to change down gears. The dealer has repeatedly made adjustments, but nothing has changed and I can't get it to occur for them, as there are no decent hills near the dealership. Are cruise controls designed to ever drop out under any circumstances, or should the car just keeping changing down gears?
Answered by CarsGuide12 Jan 2011
Normally they don't disengage automatically, only when the driver disengages them by switching them off or braking. In other situations where the driver might override the cruise it remains engaged and then resumes where it was set. These things can be hard to diagnose when they can't be demonstrated to the mechanic, so I would find a location, hopefully somewhere convenient for the dealer, and take the mechanic with you on a test drive.
Other Ford Focus problems
- Will parts from a 2007 Ford Focus interchange with my 2003 Ford Focus SE?
- On my 2003 Ford Focus the rev counter, speedometer and temperature gauges only work on and off...
- My Ford Focus has now been back to the dealer five times to try to fix the dreaded and well-known transmission problem...
- Will a Ford Focus radiator work on a 2002 Ford Cougar?
- The front passenger tyre on my 2006 Ford Focus fell off. Are the axles on the 2002 and 2006 Ford Focus interchangeable?
- I need a new front driver's door for my 2014 Ford Focus, will a 2012 or 2016 Ford Focus door work?
- Will headlights from a 2005 Ford Focus interchange with a 2000 Ford Focus?
- Should I sell my 2004 Ford Focus to the wreckers?
Most viewed in Advice
- Five best small cars in Australia
- Everything you need to know about BYD cars
- The history of old Holden cars in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Five best small SUVs for towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- How to look for a fuel-efficient tow vehicle
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Five best small cars in Australia
Everything you need to know about BYD cars
The history of old Holden cars in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Five best small SUVs for towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
How to look for a fuel-efficient tow vehicle
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top five biggest problems with electric cars