Ethanol adversely affecting Land Rover
- Land Rover 3.5
- Land Rover 3.5 1980
- Land Rover Advice
- Land Rover 3.5 Reviews
- Land Rover SUV Range
- Land Rover
Asked by Trevor Quigley,
I had the misfortune to fill up with OPAL unleaded fuel in the Northern Territory a while ago. I was on a trip in a 1980 Land Rover Series Three V8 petrol engine through WA and the Northern Territory. After the fill with OPAL we began to have problems with the vehicle and we eventually had to have it transported back to Melbourne where the tanks were drained, and the lines and carburettors were flushed. I am still having problems and will now have the carburettors removed and overhauled. What annoys me is that I picked up a brochure about OPAL fuel, which warns that this fuel is not to be used in high performance engines or those manufactured before 1986, but there was no warning on the fuel pumps, and it seems to be well known problem in the NT. Where is the consumer protection here?
Answered by CarsGuide3 Jun 2010
We have had a number of reports like yours relating to problems with older cars when running on fuel containing ethanol. When planning on traveling in remote areas with an older car it's worth checking on what fuel is available and if it has ethanol, and making your travel plans around that information.
Other Land Rover problems
- What car should I get to tow a 22-foot caravan around Australia?
- Land Rover Discovery 5 - Why do they just call it Discovery?
- Land Rover Discovery 1 - Is the first Discovery becoming a classic?
- What is the most expensive Land Rover in the world?
- Should I sell my 2005 Land Rover Discovery?
- Is the Range Rover Sport 2002 expensive to maintain?
- Land Rover Discovery Sport 2012: Engine failure
- Land Rover Discovery 2017: Need replacing due to major problems
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Every electric car available in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Land Rover
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Every electric car available in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing