- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Corolla 1991
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Corolla Reviews
- Toyota Hatchback Range
Asked by Egil Bugis
I'M THE owner of a 1991 Toyota Corolla Seca SX Liftback with the 100kW 4A-GE engine. I have had the car since new, and have done my own mechanical work and maintenance using Toyota's specifications and genuine Toyota components. I have had no trouble with the car, but I have three questions. Firstly, are there any recognised problems with this engine, as it seems to be a brilliant basic design? Secondly, in case of cam belt failure, will there be valve/piston interference? Thirdly, I recall some weeks ago you mentioned that the five-speed transaxles are prone to fifth-gear problems.
Answered by CarsGuide27 May 2004
FIRSTLY, you have a gem. The 4A-GE engine is regarded as a classic and much sought-after to fit in Mini Clubmans. There are no major problems to be concerned about with the engine. Secondly, the engine is a free-spinning design, the piston tops are relieved to provide clearance to the valve train so there shouldn't be a problem if you break a cam belt. That said, anything is possible if you break a belt at high engine speed, when you might stretch a valve stem enough to make contact. High-mileage cars can have a problem with fifth gear, but don't panic, it's not something to be too concerned about.
Other Toyota Corolla problems
- What is the weight carrying capacity of the roof of a 2020 Toyota Corolla?
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- Do the Toyota Corolla hybrid tyre repair kits actually work?
- How to replace the key battery for a 2012 Toyota Corolla?
- Does the 2012 Toyota Corolla have a timing chain or timing belt?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- How do I find a reputable mechanic in my area?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cars that start with E
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cars that start with G
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cars that start with E
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cars that start with G
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing