2012 Kia Rio steering lock
Asked by Sara Woodes
The 2012 Kia Rio I bought in July was my first car and I was so excited, but I started to have problems with it only a few weeks later. The ABS, airbag and steering wheel light came on and my steering locked. I got the car to my nearest dealership where it was found to have over 15 codes logged. They were cleared and the car returned the next day, but this has now happened another four times. So far the steering has been rewired, the dash removed and now a new junction box has been fitted. I have contacted Kia over and over again asking for the car to be replaced, but the dealer laughed at me and said it will never happen, that it's not their problem and they advised me to take them to the Consumer, Trader & Tenancy Tribunal, which I have. We have been to court twice now with no results and a hearing date is coming up, but the loan car that I have had has been taken off me. My car has been off the road for 36 days while they have tried to fix it, now they want me to pick the car up as they claim it has been "fixed". I'm scared to drive it because of the steering issues and the fact is I'm scared I may have an accident. I need my car for work, but the court hearing is at least two weeks away. Please help me, I'm running out of options.
Answered by CarsGuide15 Nov 2013
You clearly don't trust the dealer, so you could contact Kia and ask them to have one of their technical representatives check the car over for you to assure you that it has been fixed. That could be difficult given that the case is now before the consumer affairs tribunal, so it's perhaps best in the circumstances that you either borrow a car or hire one until the case is settled.
Other Kia Rio problems
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- What should I do if the transmission warning sign comes on in my 2020 Kia Rio?
- Skoda Fabia 2017: Would it make a good first car?
- Kia Rio 2019: Is it economical to run premium petrol?
- What car should I buy that is reliable and safe?
- Kia Rio 2019: Problems with sports shift
- What hatchback should I buy?
- Kia Rio: Key replacement cost
Most viewed in Advice
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking...
- Best five utes for towing
- Do electric cars actually save you money?
- The ultimate accessories for your Mitsubishi...
- Selling your car privately or to a dealer
- Capped price servicing explained
- 70 Series LandCruiser: Your guide to the...
- Best large family SUVs for boot space
- Cars that start with X
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking affordable vehicles
Best five utes for towing
Do electric cars actually save you money?
The ultimate accessories for your Mitsubishi Triton
Selling your car privately or to a dealer
Capped price servicing explained
70 Series LandCruiser: Your guide to the Toyota 4WD
Best large family SUVs for boot space
Cars that start with X