Why won't my 2020 Hyundai Kona electric not open or start?
- Hyundai Kona
- Hyundai Advice
- Hyundai Kona Reviews
- Hyundai SUV Range
- Green Cars
- Family Cars
Asked by Jessica
I just took delivery of a 2020 Kona hybrid and five days later the car will not open from the remote and I have to use the skeleton key. Upon entry, the car will not start and I have to push the reset battery button on the side for it to start. This has happened twice in the 10 days since I picked it up. Anyone else with this problem?
Answered by CarsGuide16 Sep 2020
This is still a very new model, so there’s not a whole lot of reliability intelligence available yet. Even so, I’m surprised that such a new vehicle has such a glaring problem just a couple of weeks or so out from its delivery as a brand-new car.
The reason the car won’t start when you open the door with the manual key is that the remote should not only unlock the car, but also deactivate the immobiliser and switch on the main electrical circuits that power the Kona. If the remote isn’t unlocking the doors, then it probably isn’t turning on the main systems either, and that’s why you need to reset the battery each time. Hyundai tells me that this car actually has a conventional 12-volt battery, mounted in the conventional place (under the bonnet, just behind the headlight) that powers the functions you’re missing. If this battery has a dud cell or isn’t charging (and it’s just spent several weeks on a ship getting to Australia, remember) then the car will exhibit the symptoms you’re seeing. A trip to the dealer is in order, but your problem is definitely a warranty issue.
Other Hyundai Kona problems
- What are the pros and cons of a 2018 MG ZS?
- What car should I replace my 2011 Hyundai i20 with?
- What electric car should I buy?
- What is the most expensive Hyundai?
- Hyundai Kona 2018: Speed-reading error
- Hyundai Kona: One reverse light?
- Hyundai Kona 2019: Tips for first electric car
- Hyundai Kona: How do I release the fuel cap?
Most viewed in Advice
- Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo...
- RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol six-cylinder motor
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo diesel motor
RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol motor