Why won't my 2005 Ford Territory transmission move forward or reverse?
Asked by Kaylene
My 2005 Ford Territory transmission doesn't move forward or reverse. Can you help?
Answered by CarsGuide10 Feb 2021
The transmission in this era of Ford Territories was notorious for suffering a failed transmission oil cooler. If that happened, the coolant would often mix with the transmission’s fluid, causing massive damage to both the electronics and the mechanical components of the transmission. In severe cases, the vehicle could lose drive altogether. A replacement transmission is the usual fix, so it’s an expensive failure.
But the first check to make is of another part of the Territory that is also known for giving trouble. In this case, though, the end result is nothing like as dramatic as it’s caused by damaged or poorly adjusted (loose) selector linkages. A quick tighten or adjustment will have the transmission operating properly again, but you need to ascertain what’s causing your problem in the first place. Don’t forget to check that there’s actually sufficient fluid inside the transmission, too, as low fluid can cause a loss of drive. Most workshops will be able to diagnose either problem pretty quickly.
Other Ford Territory problems
- Ford Territory Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Ford Territory?
- Why is the transmission in my 2016 Ford Territory intermittently down-shifting?
- Does the 2008 Ford Territory RWD have electric steering?
- Why won't my Ford Territory go into reverse when cold?
- How do I activate the alarm system in my 2012 Ford Territory?
- The software in my 2015 Ford Territory is not working.
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Ford Territory 2010: Variety of electrical issues
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers