Why is my horn and reversing camera not working?
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Reviews
- Toyota SUV Range
Asked by Annonys
My Toyota LandCruiser Prado horn sometimes work and sometimes doesn't work. Why would this be the case? Is it easy to fix? Also, my reversing camera doesn't show anything - it is blank when I reverse. What can be done?
Answered by CarsGuide17 Feb 2021
You’re probably looking at two different, distinct problems here. It’s pretty unlikely that the car’s horn has anything to do with the reverse camera and vice-versa. The fact that the horn sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t suggests a wiring problem rather than anything wrong with the actual horn unit. You need to check the contacts along the entire horn circuit including the contacts on the horn itself as well as the contacts within the steering wheel that trigger the horn. In modern cars with air-bags, however, this is not a job for the casual tinkerer. Don’t forget the fuse-box, as the horn circuit will have a fuse and this could have shaken loose over time leading to the on-off problem.
The reverse camera problem could be down to the screen or the camera unit itself. Again, you need to check all the connections to make sure that everything is connected tightly and that no moisture has managed to get into the circuit (which is entirely possible as the tiny camera unit is mounted on the outside of the vehicle). And while it might sound silly, check that the lens of the camera isn’t covered in dirt or grease which could also leave you with no image on the screen. Clearly, when you select reverse and the screen goes blank, the camera system is trying to show you what’s behind you, so power is getting to part of the circuit. But either the camera isn’t picking up an image, or the screen is refusing to display it. An auto electrician sounds like a good one-stop shop for both your problems.
Other Toyota Land Cruiser Prado problems
- Can you adjust the rear suspension height in a 2006 Toyota Pardo?
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- The paint on my 2007 Toyota Prado is peeling off, what should I do?
- Can I replace the master cylinder on my 2000 Toyota Prado with a second-hand one?
- Why is the media screen on my 2015 Toyota LandCruiser Prado now in Japanese?
- How much is my 2011 Toyota Landcruiser Prado worth?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Toyota LandCruiser Prado: What's the difference between the 2018 and 2019 GXL models?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers