Why is my 2019 Mazda BT-50 is losing traction?
- Mazda BT-50
- Mazda BT-50 2019
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda BT-50 Reviews
- Mazda Commercial Range
- Mazda Ute Range
Asked by Terry
My BT-50 is losing traction traveling in a straight line while going up a hill in the wet on a tar-sealed road. I bought the car new and the tyres have never been changed. What's the issue?
Answered by CarsGuide15 Apr 2021
If this is a new phenomenon, then it’s almost certainly down to the condition of your tyres. As tyres wear, they become less able to clear the water between themselves and the road surface, allowing the car to almost 'float' over the bitumen, leading to the loss of traction you’re experiencing. But even a tyre that is simply old (as opposed to worn out) can cause the same problem as the rubber hardens and loses its ability to grip the road. This will also be most noticeable in wet conditions, which is when you’ve experienced it.
Another possibility is that the car has sprung an oil or coolant leak which is spraying from the engine bay, under the car and on to the rear tyres, causing them to slip. But that’s a lot more of a long shot and a close inspection of the tyres would be the first step to curing what is a potentially very dangerous situation.
Other Mazda BT-50 problems
- Why is my 2016 Mazda BT-50 3.2-litre using 14 litres per 100kms?
- What do I do if a dealer gives me and incorrect quote?
- I'm having problems with my Mazda BT50 twin-cab pick-up order
- Why is my 2012 Mazda BT-50 making a scraping noise?
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- Why does the powertrain light keep coming on in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Why is my 2015 Mazda BT-50 losing power?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Chinese electric cars: Top five electric...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Chinese electric cars: Top five electric vehicles from China
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?