What should I replace my 2015 Mazda 3 Maxx Hatch with?
Asked by N
My 2015 Mazda 3 Maxx Hatch was recently written off. It was insured for market value which is estimated at the lower end at $12,500. I don't understand this estimate as I have been looking to buy the same or a newer version and prices at both private sellers and with dealers range from $20,000 to $23,000. Is there another model car with equivalent safety and quality at a better price? I am buying in the ACT.
Answered by CarsGuide11 Aug 2021
There are a few things going on with insured values. The first is that insurance companies will – generally – do everything they can to pay out as little as possible against a claim. That means, they will usually take the lower number from a range of values, and that appears to be exactly what has happened here. If you take a look at the classifieds right now, you’ll see 2015 Mazda 3 Maxxes priced anywhere from $12,000 to the low-20s. Clearly, your insurance company has adopted the lower of those values as the one that represents market value for your car. Don’t forget, either, that the asking price in the advert is not always the actual price that will be paid.
There can be other influences, too. What condition was your car in before the crash that wrote it off? If it had existing damage or wear, that could have led your insurer to adjust downwards the pay-out price it was offering. And what about kilometres travelled? Generally speaking, every extra thousand kilometres over the average for that make and model reduces its value in the eyes of insurance companies.
As for a replacement vehicle, I’d be looking at some of the South Korean (Hyundai and Kia) offerings. These brands now have a jump on some of the opposition when it comes to technology and standard safety equipment. They also represent solid engineering and reliability, not to mention terrific factory warranties.
Other Mazda 3 problems
- Are we going to see the new Mazda 3 turbo AWD in Australia?
- Can you advise whether the Mazda 3 has a timing belt or a timing chain?
- What are the safety issues of the 2011 Mazda 3?
- Mazda 4 - A bigger hatchback than the 3?
- Mazda MX3 - What ever happened to the Eunos 30X?
- Mazda 9 - Will we ever see a successor to the 929?
- Which is better: 2014 Mazda 3 Astina or 2016 Mazda 3 SP25?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The future of electric cars: When will...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
12 best EVs available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The future of electric cars: When will electric cars take over in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top five electric SUVs in Australia