What car should I buy now that my Mazda 6 doesn't suit my needs?
- Mazda CX-5
- Mazda 6
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda CX-5 Reviews
- Mazda 6 Reviews
- Mazda SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Eva
I love my Mazda 6 wagon for its space and to drive, but at 70 my arthritis is now making it difficult for me to exit my car, turn the ignition key on and open/close my rear door. I need a car/wagon/SUV that is a little higher than my Mazda 6, has push-button start and automatic tailgate-opening. It should also, preferably, have an electrically-adjustable driver’s seat as hubby is 180cm and I am 147cm! Plus, we need automatic, petrol and prefer a full-sized spare if possible. Any suggestions?
Answered by CarsGuide15 Aug 2020
If you’re happy with the Mazda 6 wagon – and it sounds like you are - then there’s a good case for sticking with the Mazda brand. And if that’s the case, the next thing to consider is which model and body style. Given your requirement for a car that is easier to get in and out of, I reckon a mid-sized SUV might make the most sense since it’s footprint will be similar to the Mazda 6 you have now, but it sits you higher and more upright. On that basis, the Mazda CX-5 seems the natural choice.
If you go for the petrol-engined Touring model, you’ll get all-wheel-drive for extra grip and safety as well as keyless entry and start where you can open the vehicle and start the engine without even taking the key from your pocket. Very convenient. If you can afford a little more, the GT model gets you the powered front seats you need and these even have a memory function that will automatically adjust them to either your or your husband’s preferred settings as a one-button job. Again, very convenient. The GT model also get a powered tailgate which was also on your must-have list. About the only thing missing is the full-sized spare wheel, and all Mazda CX-5s use a space-saver spare. But be honest, are you going to change a flat tyre yourself, or call roadside assistance? And when was the last time you experienced a flat tyre anyway?
Other Mazda 6 problems
- Mazda 4 - A bigger hatchback than the 3?
- Mazda 7 - Will Mazda build a bigger sedan than the 6?
- Mazda 9 - Will we ever see a successor to the 929?
- Problems with engine failure in my 2010 Mazda 6
- Why does it take more effort to steer left in my 2011 Mazda 6?
- What can be done about a broken transfer case in a 2007 Mazda 6?
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- Why is there so much cabin noise in my 2015 Mazda 6?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures