What can I do if the steering wheel and gear knob are peeling in my 2018 Nissan Navara?
Asked by Peter
The steering wheel and gear knob are both peeling and have cracks in them in my 2018 Nissan Navara. The car is four years old and I have owned it for three years as it was a demo model. It only had 10km on it and had never been driven. I have only done 60,000kms on it by they say it is because of wear and tear. I am just wondering where I stand here, is there anything I can do?
Answered by CarsGuide19 Oct 2021
This is a more common problem than you might imagine and applies to a lot of cars besides Nissan Navaras. It’s not always caused by people with constantly wet hands or those who work with chemicals, either; a lot of pampered vehicles have seen this type of problem.
As well as being pretty ordinary to look at day after day, this sort of damage also devalues a car when you go to sell it. The warranty on your Navara would have been for the first three years (Nissan shifted to a five-year warranty mid-2019) but because it was a demonstrator, the warranty period would have started from the date it was first registered or reported as sold, not the day you bought it.
Most new-car warranties also state that `normal wear and tear’ is not covered, but there’s an argument that normal wear and tear shouldn’t be visible on a steering wheel after just four years and 60,000km of use.
If it really bothers you, there are motor trimmers who can stitch on a new leather covering which I would expect to last a lot longer than four years. You would, of course, have to remove the wheel from the car which requires somebody who knows their air-bag safety drills and procedures.
Other Nissan Navara problems
- When the fuel light is on in the 2014 Nissan Navara, how many litres of fuel are left in the tank?
- Does the wrong battery cause problems with the starter motor in the Nissan Navara 2013?
- What is the best reliable ute?
- Does a 2011 Nissan Navara Turbo have a timing belt or chain warning light?
- How do I take my Nissan Navara out of limp mode?
- How much will it cost to replace the clutch in my 2008 Nissan Navara?
- Does the 2010 Nissan Navara have a timing belt or chain?
- Why has my 2011 Nissan Navara lost most of its engine power?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
12 best EVs available in Australia
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
Every electric car available in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia