Mazda 3 2007: Can I replace the transmission control module?
- Mazda 3
- Mazda 3 2007
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda 3 Reviews
- Mazda Hatchback Range
- Mazda Sedan Range
Asked by Stephen
The transmission control module in my 2007 Mazda 3 is playing up, I was wondering if I can just replace it with another one from a Mazda the same year and make. I've been told it has to be coded in to the gearbox, and I'm not sure what to do. I've seen videos on the internet where people have just swapped them out.
Answered by CarsGuide8 Feb 2020
Transmission Control Module (TCM) faults are not unknown on these early Mazda 3s. Symptoms usually involve erratic shifting, a failure to select gear at all and having the car go into limp-home mode. The good news is that there are companies out there who can repair your existing TCM, which gets you around the need to buy an expensive replacement. By the way, from what I can gather, any replacement TCM should be plug-and-play with no need to have the new module coded to the car’s other systems.
It’s also worth noting that Mazda in the USA issued a Technical Service Bulletin (like a recall but not for a safety issue) for automatic 3s from this era fitted with the 2.3-litre engine. In some cases, the shift solenoid could lose fluid, leading to harsh shifts and shuddering when driving uphill. The fix was a revised solenoid design but the catch was that the unit lived inside the transmission, so to whole gearbox had to be removed and taken apart to replace the part in question.
Other Mazda 3 problems
- Which is better: 2014 Mazda 3 Astina or 2016 Mazda 3 SP25?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- Why does the tyre pressure light keep coming on in my 2019 Mazda 3?
- Mazda 3 2007-2018: What size boot to the sedan and hatch have?
- 2012 Mazda 3: Power-steering cutting out
- Mazda 3 2017: How can I reduce the cost of regular servicing?
- What is the best safe and cost-effective car for my kids to drive?
- What sort of car would be best suited for a sales staff worker?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Grey nomad caravans, camper-trailers,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Grey nomad caravans, camper-trailers, motorhomes, camper vans
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?