Holden Captiva 2007: Why is the engine smoking?
- Holden Captiva
- Holden Captiva 2007
- Holden Advice
- Holden Captiva Reviews
- Holden SUV Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Shannon
I have bought a 2007 Holden Captiva 2.0 turbo-diesel. I'm dealing with white a smoke issue. The smoke is thick and I can’t drive the car as there is a lot of smoke with the engine either at a hot or cold temperature. The engine light is on and I have replaced the main things, turbo, oil filter, new oil change, checked all hoses for cracks and leaks. Is there anything else to check? There are no engine noises.
Answered by CarsGuide23 May 2020
As a rule of thumb, white smoke from a diesel engine suggests the fuel is not burning properly. If your engine only blew smoke when you first started it up each morning, I’d suggest the glow-plugs weren’t working properly and heating up the combustion chambers to gain a complete burn of the fuel.
But since it’s blowing smoke all the time, I think you could be looking at a fuel-injection problem. The injectors themselves could be bad (and it only takes one dud to make gales of smoke) or the system is mis-timed and not injecting the fuel precisely when it should be. These engines self-analyse themselves as you drive and it seems the car knows it has a problem, because it has turned on the check-engine light as a warning to you that something is amiss. Your first move should be to have the injectors checked as well as the injection timing
Other Holden Captiva problems
- Should I replace the engine in my 2013 Holden Captiva?
- Why is my diesel 2014 Holden Captiva blowing black smoke?
- Is there a problem with the timing chain in my 2016 Holden Captiva?
- Should I buy a 2009 Holden Captiva?
- What caused my 2013 Holden Captiva to lose power and stop?
- What could be causing a vibration and metallic noise in my 2009 Holden Captiva LT?
- Does the 2013 Holden Captiva have diesel particulate filter issues?
- Is the 2012 Holden Captiva prone to transmission issues?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?