Holden Barina 2000: Why does my car randomly lose momentum?
- Holden Barina
- Holden Barina 2000
- Holden Advice
- Holden Barina Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
Asked by Willie
My 2000 Holden Barina Swing has 90,000km on the clock. I will be driving along and the car will lose momentum almost like it is not getting fuel. It does not do this all the time but maybe three or four times per tank of fuel. I have changed the fuel filter and not sure what else to do.
Answered by CarsGuide11 Jan 2020
Diagnosing problems like this one are difficult, Willie, mainly because you can bet your bottom dollar that the car won’t reproduce the problem when your mechanic drives it. But three or four times every tank of fuel is not funny and, should the problem rear its head just as you’re about to enter a busy road or turn across traffic, it could be very dangerous, too.
But the fact that the car runs perfectly most of the time suggests that it’s not a problem with any of the actual, mechanical engine parts, or it wouldn’t run properly at all. That leaves you with fuel, spark or the computer that controls everything as your most likely suspects. A dodgy sensor such as a crank-angle, camshaft-angle, temperature, oxygen or throttle-position sensor can cause problems like these and sensors have definitely been known to throw up intermittent faults.
The best bet is to have the car scanned by a dealership or workshop with the correct computer gear. Otherwise you could be chasing your tail for weeks, wasting time and money as you change sensors that were working properly and still not fix the problem.
Other Holden Barina problems
- Why does the engine light keep coming on in my 2010 Holden Barina?
- What is causing my 2006 Holden Barina to select a gear but not move?
- Why is the steering on my 2010 Holden Barina unstable?
- Holden Barina: Parts not stocked in Australia
- What is the correct tyre pressure for the Holden Barina 2010?
- Holden Barina 2011: Does this car have a timing chain or belt?
- Holden Barina 2010: Rattling noise in the gearbox
- Holden Barina 2018: Leaking hot water
Most viewed in Advice
- Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol...
- RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol...
- TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol six-cylinder motor
RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol motor
TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo diesel motor
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000