Holden Astra GTC 2015: Why is my car coughing dark smoke?
- Holden Astra
- Holden Astra 2015
- Holden Advice
- Holden Astra Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Dave
My 2015 Holden Astra GTC idles really rough coughing dark smoke for the first 20 seconds on first start for the day. No codes are stored apparently and it's only done 50,000kms. It runs great otherwise but I am concerned about the smoke.
Answered by CarsGuide30 May 2020
It sounds like you’re dealing with a fuel-air mixture issue when the engine is started from dead cold. If the mixture is too rich – which would be my suspicion – then black smoke is often a consequence.
A coolant temperature sensor should be telling the engine’s on-board computer what the temperature of the engine is, so that the computer can then tell the injectors how much fuel to inject into each cylinder. A dud sensor can cause the computer to inject too much fuel, and there’s the source of your black smoke. As the engine warms up, the sensor starts sending the correct signal to the computer and the smoke stops.
Of course, it’s not always that simple and you could also be looking at a blocked air filter, a blockage in the air intake system, worn fuel injectors and plenty more. Even a stuck or jammed thermostat can cause an engine to run poorly and blow black smoke if it can’t maintain the engine at the correct temperature. Old or stale fuel in the tank can also cause these symptoms. The fact that your car is not showing any fault codes suggests that perhaps you’re looking at one of these old-school problems.
Other Holden Astra problems
- Why is the coolant in my 2007 Holden Astra a milky colour?
- Why does my 2017 Holden Astra jerk when I put it in reverse?
- Why does the clock in my 2004 Holden Astra CD keep resetting?
- Why does my 2009 Holden Astra have trouble starting after sitting overnight?
- What oil should I use in my 2004 Honda Astra?
- Why does my 2020 Holden Astra have an oil leak in the transmission?
- Holden Astra 2006: How can I fix a broken CD player in my car?
- Holden Astra 2003: Water pump and timing belt replacement
Most viewed in Advice
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers