Ford Ranger clutch issues
- Ford Ranger
- Ford Ranger 2011
- Ford Advice
- Ford Ranger Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
Asked by David Atkinson
With reference to recent stories in your column about clutch issues with one-tonne utes I'd like to tell you about our 2011 Ford Ranger PK Crew Cab 4WD, which has only done 16,000 km and we have just had to replace the clutch with a heavy-duty one. It started when we were reversing our 2100 kg caravan onto a site and smelt a burning smell. The Ford dealer we took it to told us that the clutch seemed ok, but would have to be replaced in the near future. They gave us a quote for $3034 plus labour and said it would not be covered under warranty, as it was driver error. Ford's Customer Relations people told us that the Ford Ranger was not suitable for towing and reversing a load! We bought it because it is rated to tow 3- tonne. We than took it to an independent dealer who replaced the clutch with a heavy-duty one for $2500 including labour, and they informed us that the clutch issue was a common problem on all Ford Rangers. We have written to Ford, but have not heard from them. I have been a Ford man all my life. but they have lost me after this.
Answered by CarsGuide23 Feb 2012
The clutch issue is not confined to the Ranger, other brands suffer the same problems, which suggests that the clutches used are marginal for towing. Your experience is not unusual, and should be a warning to everyone else looking to buy a ute to tow with. The normal fix is to install a heavy-duty aftermarket clutch, as you have done. Unfortunately carmakers have an out, in that they state quite clearly that the clutch is not covered by the warranty, and it's difficult to say what kilometres you should expect to get from a clutch before it would need replacing.
Other Ford Ranger problems
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- Can an oil cooler keep the transmission cool in my 2014 Ford Ranger?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
- Why does my 2015 Ford Ranger cut out for no reason?
- What is causing the clutch to get stuck in my 2013 Ford Ranger?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Why does the fifth gear pop out of my 2007 Ford Ranger when I drive on the highway?
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Cars that start with E
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Cars that start with E
Who invented the first car and when was it made?