Toyota Prado: Towing capacity
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2012
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2012
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Reviews
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
- Toyota SUV Range
Asked by Greg Allen
I am considering purchasing either a Toyota Prado GXL or a Mitsubishi Pajero. The Prado has a 2500 kg towing capacity while Pajero has 3000 kg. The caravan I am considering has a tare of 2100 kg and weighs 2500 kg when loaded. The caravan dealer has told me the caravan has a 160 kg tow ball weight. Can one calculate actual tow ball weight from towing capacity?
Answered by CarsGuide23 Jul 2012
No. The manufacturer determines the vehicle's towing capacity taking into consideration things like the design of the vehicle, its rear axle load, tyres and the effect the trailer will have on the vehicle's attitude and stability. You can measure the tow ball weight using bathroom scales, or putting the laden trailer across a weighbridge and getting the weight borne by the axle/axles. The tow ball weight will be the total weight minus the load on the axle/ axles. It's generally about 10 percent of the total weight of the loaded trailer.
Other Mitsubishi Pajero problems
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- What is causing my 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero to blow black smoke, jolt through gears and only go 60km/h?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002: Is 324,000kms too many?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010: What problems are there with this model?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: What can I claim from insurance?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2009: Why isn't the accelerator working?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2003: Why is the four-wheel drive symbol flashing?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers