Will I still be able to buy LPG gas in the future?
- Ford Falcon
- Ford Falcon 2016
- Ford Advice
- Ford Falcon Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
Asked by Gavin
I want to buy a 2016 Falcon FGX Ute and want to know if I buy the LPG model, will I be able to buy LPG gas for this particular engine with ease in years to come?
Answered by CarsGuide25 Jul 2021
Back when LPG was between 10 and 20 cents a litre, it made all sorts of sense. Even when it had crept up to 50 or 60 cents a litre, car-makers like Ford and Holden were producing LPG-dedicated vehicles to make the most of that cost advantage.
Now, however, when LPG is 80 or 90 cents per litre (versus $1.40 or $150 for petrol) the arithmetic no longer presents the sound financial case it once did. Given that Australia still has plenty of LPG, this probably means a couple of things. The first is that the companies who produce the LPG would rather sell it offshore in bulk that mess about transport it to a few thousand individual service-stations. The second is that maintaining a service station to incorporate petrol, diesel and LPG is too much trouble, so there’s a move to get rid of the latter as a streamlining measure. The death of local cars with LPG engines has only sped up this process. Again, though, this is only conjecture.
My guess is that you’ll still be able to buy LPG from a service station for many years to come, but it may not be every service station you pass. The bigger issue, though, is that now that LPG is no longer the money saver it once was (yes, it costs less, but you use more per kilometre than a car running on petrol) what’s the point of an LPG-dedicated vehicle? Dual-fuel (where you can run on petrol or LPG at the flick of a switch) is one thing, but a dedicated LPG car stopped making a lot of financial sense for many people a few years ago.
Other Ford Falcon problems
- How can I change driveshaft centre bearing on a 2004 BA Falcon?
- What is the best type of oil to use in a 2009 Ford Falcon XR6T?
- Why does my 2002 Ford Falcon idle irregularly and have a delayed throttle response?
- What oil can I use instead of Ford Engine Oil?
- What is causing my 2001 Ford AU Falcon ute to miss?
- Ford Falcon 2003: Leaking coolant and replacing remote locking
- Ford Falcon 2002: Why does the engine keep cutting out?
- Ford Falcon: Can I use premium unleaded fuel?
Most viewed in Advice
- Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know about the seven-time F1 drivers champion
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000