Why is the battery in my 2021 Subaru Forester going flat and how do I fix it?
Asked by Matthew
Q: The battery in my 2021 Subaru Forester has gone flat twice overnight without any accessories being left on. The second time there was enough charge to run the accessories but not start. When I tried again 10 hours later, the battery was dead flat. The car couldn't be started even with a jump from the RACV. I've been reading about parasitic battery drain in Subaru Foresters, should Subaru Australia be replacing the battery?
Answered by CarsGuide27 Jan 2022
A: If the reason the battery is going flat has anything to do with a fault within the rest of the car, then yes, I would imagine the problem – and the subsequent battery replacement if the battery is damaged – would be a warranty issue. The body computer in modern cars can do curious things with the electrical systems and accessories fitted, and that can sometimes result in a flat battery.
Subaru is not the only brand with this problem, but flat batteries caused by it are definitely not the sort of statutory wear and tear issues that normally exclude a battery from any warranty claims. It would be the same with tyres, brakes and clutches. Normally, when these components wear out its deemed normal wear and tear and is not covered by the car’s warranty. But if a tyre, clutch or braking system fails because of a manufacturing or materials fault, then the new-car warranty should cover it.
Other Subaru Forester problems
- Does the Subaru Forester's 'boxer' engine feature a timing belt or a chain-driven set-up?
- Need to change the oil on my Subaru Forester, but want to know the right type and the best way to go about it
- What is causing a whistling noise from the exhaust of my 2007 Subaru Forester?
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What model X-Trail or Forester should I buy for less than $19000
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- Cruise-control not working in 2015 Subaru Forester
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you need to know about PHEVs in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing