Why is my 2012 Kia Cerato making a ticking noise?
- Kia Cerato
- Kia Cerato 2012
- Kia Advice
- Kia Cerato Reviews
- Kia Coupe Range
- Kia Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Mevan
There is a ticking sound from the motor of my 2012 Kia Cerato, what could it be?
Answered by CarsGuide4 Nov 2020
A ticking noise from the engine of a modern car is often the first signs of a build-up of sludge inside the engine. The hydraulic lash adjusters (which control the amount of clearance in the valve-train) operate on the same oil that lubricates the entire engine. If sludge has begun to build up in the engine, these lash adjusters are often the first components to be damaged.
What causes this build-up? Most commonly, the cause is poor servicing over the years. If a previous owner has stretched the oil-change intervals beyond the factory recommendation, the oil becomes contaminated and dirty and that leads directly to sludge. Does your car have a written record of its past maintenance? If not, I’d be very suspicious of its service history.
You may be lucky, however, and simply have a single lash adjuster that has failed for no good reason. If that’s the case, it can be replaced (I’d replace all 16 of them while I was at it). Perhaps in the first instance, the wise move would be to have somebody who knows these engines have a listen to see if the cause is something else. Modern aluminium engines can often be a bit noisy, and your problem could be related to an injector or fuel pump or perhaps something even deeper inside the engine.
Other Kia Cerato problems
- What are the specifications for a 2016 Kia Cerato?
- If I want to upgrade my car should I trade it in or sell it privately?
- Which used seven-seater should I buy for 15-20k?
- What car should I buy for my mum?
- What is the difference between the Hyundai i30 N Line and Kia Cerato GT?
- Is a new Kia Cerato a good 2015 Mini Cooper replacement?
- Kia Cerato: When will the towbar for the GT be ready?
- Kia Cerato 2015: Why does my radio have so much static noise?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers