Why does my 2019 Toyota Kluger use so much oil?
Asked by Jenna
My 2019 Toyota Kluger Black Limited Edition has been using excessive oil since new and uses over a litre of oil every 1500km. Toyota had our car for nearly three months, carried out all sorts of tests and replaced parts including the short motor. The car is still using excessive oil were should we go from here?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Aug 2020
It would seem very strange to me that an almost-new Toyota V6 engine would be burning oil to the extent that a new short motor would be required. And it seems that wasn’t the problem anyway, but I agree that more than a litre per 1500km is too much. Had the short motor (pistons and piston-rings) been the problem, the new short motor should have fixed it, but a leak-down and compression test should have given a few clues, too. In any case, the dealer should now be looking for the real source of the problem. I’d be starting with the valve-stem seals or valve guides which are part of the cylinder head and aren’t replaced when a new short motor is fitted (because the original cylinder heads are retained). I’d also be checking the operation of the PCV (crankcase ventilation valve) which can also make oil disappear if it’s faulty.
As for your next step, well, thank goodness for new-car warranties, eh? Basically, you’re covered whatever happens because that’s how warranties work. It’s up to the dealer to decide what steps it takes from here, but while ever the dealer is trying to fix the problem, you need to give them the chance to do so. It would be nice if you were provided with a replacement vehicle while yours is being assessed or fixed, and I’d definitely be asking for that much. Have you contacted Toyota Australia’s customer service number? Sometimes you’ll have a quicker resolution if head office gets involved. The other option if you’re really unhappy with how things are progressing is to contact the ACCC.
Other Toyota Kluger problems
- What is the longevity of diesel-powered SUV and Passenger vehicles in Australia?
- Why does my 2011 Toyota Kluger turn off when I turn sharp corners?
- My 2017 Toyota Kluger is just out of warranty and needs a new water pump, should Toyota cover the cost?
- Why did my 2018 Toyota Kluger jump from drive into neutral?
- Which Toyota Kluger models have a GPS?
- Will an engine replacement change the value of my Toyota Kluger 2019?
- Does the 2004 Toyota Kluger Grande have a timing chain or belt?
- What mid-size SUV has the power to tow a small caravan?
Most viewed in Advice
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- Best compact SUVs under $30k
- Iveco Daily 4x4 - Everything you need to know
- Cars that start with Q
- Driving fines and penalties explained
- Ford capped price servicing - cost, schedule ...
- The pros and cons of semi-slick tyres
- Car rust repair DIY: How to remove rust from...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- What to do if you put the wrong fuel in your...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
Best compact SUVs under $30k
Iveco Daily 4x4 - Everything you need to know
Cars that start with Q
Driving fines and penalties explained
Ford capped price servicing - cost, schedule & info
The pros and cons of semi-slick tyres
Car rust repair DIY: How to remove rust from a car
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
What to do if you put the wrong fuel in your car