Why does my 2017 Holden Astra jerk when I put it in reverse?
- Holden Astra
- Holden Astra 2017
- Holden Advice
- Holden Astra Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Kun
I have two questions about the transmission of 2017 Holden Astra:
1. The car jerks hard when shifting to reverse, happens sometimes.
2. High revs (3500rpm) gliding down a slope, happens very occasionally.
I had the car checked by the Holden dealer, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Do you know what it could be?
Answered by CarsGuide4 Nov 2020
The jerk when you select reverse sometimes is definitely worth having diagnosed properly as it shouldn’t be that way. Scanning the car (which I’ll presume the dealership did to arrive at its answer) doesn’t always show up all faults, so just because the computer says there’s nothing wrong, doesn’t mean there isn’t. There are plenty of reasons for a car to jerk into a particular gear, but the good news is that the Astra uses a conventional, torque-converter automatic, not one of the vastly more troublesome double-clutch units.
Your second problem, however, may not be a problem at all. In fact, the gearbox in the Astra is smart enough to know that you’re coasting down a hill and will actually shift down a gear or two to take the strain off the brakes while still maintaining your speed. As it shifts down gears, the engine revs will rise; that’s absolutely normal and part of the way the car is designed to operate.
Other Holden Astra problems
- Why is the coolant in my 2007 Holden Astra a milky colour?
- Why does the clock in my 2004 Holden Astra CD keep resetting?
- Why does my 2009 Holden Astra have trouble starting after sitting overnight?
- What oil should I use in my 2004 Honda Astra?
- Why does my 2020 Holden Astra have an oil leak in the transmission?
- Holden Astra GTC 2015: Why is my car coughing dark smoke?
- Holden Astra 2006: How can I fix a broken CD player in my car?
- Holden Astra 2003: Water pump and timing belt replacement
Most viewed in Advice
- How do electric cars work?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
How do electric cars work?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?