Which is better: 2014 Mazda 3 Astina or 2016 Mazda 3 SP25?
Asked by Paul
Answered by CarsGuide10 Sep 2020
As the BM-series flagship back in 2014, the Astina offers more luxury and safety features than the SP25, so we'd settle for that, especially as it's a bit cheaper and has fewer kilometres on the odometer.
But if the newer car is the Series II facelift from August 2016 onwards, then this model - known as the BN - might be a better buy since it brings significant improvements.
These include Autonomous Emergency Braking Reverse (AEB when driving backwards), Blind-Spot Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, as well as revised steering, shock absorber, anti-roll bar, and rear suspension components to improve handling and ride qualities, more sound deadening to eliminate known noise paths (a criticism of the earlier Mazda 3s), larger door pockets, an electronic parking brake instead of a levered handbrake, cleaner instrumentation dial markings, a redesigned and more user-friendly steering wheel and repositioned USB charger.
Plus, the BN Series II Mazda 3 scores Mazda's G-force Vectoring Control system, which uses the engine to enhance chassis performance by adjusting torque delivery in response to steering inputs, for more stable and relaxed driving. If your SP25's an auto, it scores a Sport mode that adapts the change-up points according to the operator’s style and inputs, its steering and ride qualities are better and the handling is smoother.
Other Mazda 3 problems
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- Why does the tyre pressure light keep coming on in my 2019 Mazda 3?
- Mazda 3 2007-2018: What size boot to the sedan and hatch have?
- 2012 Mazda 3: Power-steering cutting out
- Mazda 3 2007: Can I replace the transmission control module?
- Mazda 3 2017: How can I reduce the cost of regular servicing?
- What is the best safe and cost-effective car for my kids to drive?
- What sort of car would be best suited for a sales staff worker?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch autos, what's the difference?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
12 best EVs available in Australia