Which is better: 2014 Mazda 3 Astina or 2016 Mazda 3 SP25?
Asked by Paul
Answered by CarsGuide10 Sep 2020
As the BM-series flagship back in 2014, the Astina offers more luxury and safety features than the SP25, so we'd settle for that, especially as it's a bit cheaper and has fewer kilometres on the odometer.
But if the newer car is the Series II facelift from August 2016 onwards, then this model - known as the BN - might be a better buy since it brings significant improvements.
These include Autonomous Emergency Braking Reverse (AEB when driving backwards), Blind-Spot Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, as well as revised steering, shock absorber, anti-roll bar, and rear suspension components to improve handling and ride qualities, more sound deadening to eliminate known noise paths (a criticism of the earlier Mazda 3s), larger door pockets, an electronic parking brake instead of a levered handbrake, cleaner instrumentation dial markings, a redesigned and more user-friendly steering wheel and repositioned USB charger.
Plus, the BN Series II Mazda 3 scores Mazda's G-force Vectoring Control system, which uses the engine to enhance chassis performance by adjusting torque delivery in response to steering inputs, for more stable and relaxed driving. If your SP25's an auto, it scores a Sport mode that adapts the change-up points according to the operator’s style and inputs, its steering and ride qualities are better and the handling is smoother.
Other Mazda 3 problems
- Are we going to see the new Mazda 3 turbo AWD in Australia?
- Can you advise whether the Mazda 3 has a timing belt or a timing chain?
- What are the safety issues of the 2011 Mazda 3?
- What should I replace my 2015 Mazda 3 Maxx Hatch with?
- Mazda 4 - A bigger hatchback than the 3?
- Mazda MX3 - What ever happened to the Eunos 30X?
- Mazda 9 - Will we ever see a successor to the 929?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
Every electric car available in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia