What's the best car for towing a van?
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Kia Sorento
- Isuzu MU-X
- Isuzu MU-X 2019
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2019
- Kia Sorento 2019
- Isuzu Advice
- Jeep Advice
- Kia Advice
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews
- Kia Sorento Reviews
- Isuzu MU-X Reviews
- Isuzu SUV Range
- Jeep SUV Range
- Kia SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Russ
May I ask your advice about choosing a car to tow a van ("Eco Tourer" probably - up to 2000 kg) for the grey nomad round-Aussie trip, for starters. We have driven and like the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD, 3.0 turbo diesel. We have test driven the Toyota Prado 2.8 turbo diesel and found it lacking power – or acceleration at least. Our questions are: are the Jeeps reliable? At $60,000-ish, they're at the top of our price range, and is there another car you'd recommend – for strength, reliability and economy mainly.
Answered by CarsGuide28 Jun 2019
The Jeeps are perfectly capable of doing the trip you are planning, and if anything did go wrong while you were away there are dealers all around the country who cold fix it for you. At 2000 kg your caravan is not particularly heavy and shouldn’t stress the Jeep at all. The Prado is the other obvious choice, and it too will do the job with ease. Others to look at are the Kia Sorento and Isuzu MU-X.
Other Jeep Grand Cherokee problems
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015: Blown automatic transmission.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 1996: Where can I buy a front tailshaft?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Does the Jeep Grand Cherokee have product quality issues?
- Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 2015 reliable?
- What towing vehicle should I buy?
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2013: Warranty issues
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012: Exploded roof
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Jeep
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures