Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015: Blown automatic transmission.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015
- Jeep Advice
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews
- Jeep SUV Range
Asked by Evan
My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 85,000km on it has just blown the automatic transmission. It has a full service history. Do I have a case against Jeep to replace my auto transmission due to it not even lasting until 100,000km? I'm trying to find where I stand. The dealer has told me it'll cost nearly $14,000 to replace.
Answered by CarsGuide11 Apr 2020
Perhaps a little strangely, the only recall I could find for this model to do with the transmission was one alerting owners to the fact that the unconventional design of the shifter handle could trick them into leaving the vehicle unattended without first selecting Park. But it doesn’t surprise me that you’ve had this failure as this generation of Jeeps has been plagued by all sorts of quality and reliability problems and, therefore, recalls and technical service bulletins (like a recall but not a safety-related issue).
I would definitely be tapping Jeep on the shoulder as I don’t believe 85,000km is a reasonable expectation when it comes to the life expectancy of such a major component in a modern vehicle. However, your car is clearly out of warranty, so it could come down to a dog-fight between you and Jeep.
I’d like to think that Jeep might meet you half way with the cost of repairs given the youth and full service history of your car, but there are no hard and fast rules here. You could also consider talking to Consumer Affairs over this.
The other thing you can do is talk to a transmission specialist as opposed to a Jeep dealer. Chances are, the cost of a replacement or rebuilt transmission from a specialist might be a fair bit less than a dealership can offer. But I’d definitely talk to Jeep head office first.
Other Jeep Grand Cherokee problems
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 1996: Where can I buy a front tailshaft?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Does the Jeep Grand Cherokee have product quality issues?
- Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 2015 reliable?
- What towing vehicle should I buy?
- What's the best car for towing a van?
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2013: Warranty issues
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012: Exploded roof
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Jeep
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers