What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Nissan Patrol
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Nissan Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Reviews
- Nissan Patrol Reviews
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Reviews
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
- Nissan SUV Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Off road
Asked by Joel
I want to buy a solid four-wheel-drive fit for the harsh Aussie outback, but I’d also use it as daily transport. I’ll be also doing a build so it would be great to buy a base model and add all the goodies. What’s good on a $15-$20k budget for the vehicle?
Answered by CarsGuide18 Mar 2021
You really have two ways to go here. The fact that you want to go off-road in the best/worst conditions this country has to offer means an SUV or cross-over just isn’t going to cut it. With that in mind, you’re looking at either a dual-cab ute or a conventional four-wheel-drive wagon.
In the ute world, there’s plenty of choice within your budget, but you need to be careful that the vehicle in question hasn’t been worked to death by a tradie towing a bobcat Monday to Friday. The popularity of these vehicles, meanwhile, means that there’s lots of choice when it comes to aftermarket bits and pieces to complete your dream vehicle.
The other route – a conventional wagon-style 4X4 – also places a lot of choice within your budget. The Toyota LandCruiser Prado would be a good choice, as would something like a Mitsubishi Pajero which has always represented good value for money both brand-new and second-hand. You could also look at Nissan Patrols which also give you plenty of car for the money and, if you shop carefully, you could find a really nice LandCruiser 80 Series, reckoned by some to be the absolute pinnacle of off-road wagons, even though they’re getting on a bit now. There’s great aftermarket and service support for all these options, so it will come down to your personal preferences.
Other Toyota Land Cruiser problems
- Should I buy a 2014 Toyota LandCruiser if there is visible rust?
- Is the rear bumper interchangeable between a 1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado and a 1998 Prado Grande?
- Will the new 2021 Toyota Landcruiser 300 Series have the centre console fridge?
- Which of the Toyota LandCruiser is the most best?
- Toyota LandCruiser 2016:
- Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series: What is the height of the running board?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2014: Is this a good car to buy second-hand?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 1998: What is the towing power of this car?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you need to know about PHEVs in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?