What is causing my 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero to blow black smoke, jolt through gears and only go 60km/h?
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
- Car Servicing
- 7 seater
Asked by Kylie
My 2014 Pajero has been regularly serviced, and recently got a new fuel filter, new tyres, new rear brake pads and a service two weeks ago. However, yesterday, the exhaust was blowing smoke, and the car would only do 60km/h with the pedal down, and was jolting in between gears. Listening to it, it wasn’t running right. It’s done 160,000 kms. Are they known for issues?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
The Mitsubishi Pajero is actually regarded as a very reliable vehicle, so your experience is not typical. There are several potential causes for this, but the thing I’d check first would be the air filter. Is it possible this was overlooked during the recent service? A blocked or dirty air filter will certainly make an engine blow smoke and operate poorly.
I’m assuming your vehicle is a diesel, so it would be worth checking the suction-control valve on the back of the fuel pump, too. Also, a stuck injector that is pouring fuel into the engine can also potentially create these symptoms. I’ve also heard of the Pajero diesel suffering from a build-up of black gunk inside the intake system that can also cause symptoms like the ones you’ve described.
Other Mitsubishi Pajero problems
- I wanted to get your advice on an older cheap car for around $5-7K. Do you have any recommendations?
- I have a Mitsubishi Pajero GLX-R. The vehicle is running well except when tank reaches 1/4 full...
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002: Is 324,000kms too many?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010: What problems are there with this model?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: What can I claim from insurance?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2009: Why isn't the accelerator working?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- P plate legal cars in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
P plate legal cars in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia