What car should I buy?
- Isuzu D-Max
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota C-HR
- Toyota Aurion
- Isuzu Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Isuzu D-Max Reviews
- Toyota Camry Reviews
- Toyota C-HR Reviews
- Toyota Aurion Reviews
Asked by Kathy
I'm currently looking to buy a new car and never had to do this before. My late husband was the car expert in our relationship. I currently drive a 2007 Toyota Aurion Sportivo and love it. Unfortunately it has close to 300,000km on it and I need to replace it.
I drive approximately 20km each way to work daily and have to drive on a small strip of dirt road. I travel occasionally, and as such, would like a car with power and pick-up and room for grandchildren.
I was set on buying a 2020 Toyota C-HR Koba but I haven't been overly impressed with the reviews. I also like the Isuzu MU-X. I want something that is honest and reliable and that will hold its value.
Answered by CarsGuide28 Mar 2020
Boy, there’s a big difference between a Toyota CH-R and an Isuzu MU-X, Kathy. Rarely would both those models make it to the same short-list. In any case, the problem you’ll face is that buying any brand-new car involves waving goodbye to a large chunk of its residual value the same day you drive it home for the first time.
Who is advising you to get rid of the Toyota? I’ve seen plenty of V6 Toyotas with more than 300,000km showing and still going strong. And if the mileage does worry you, what about finding a low-kilometre second-hand Aurion and pocketing the many thousands of dollars you’ve saved by not buying a brand-new car? You already know you love the way the Aurion drives (and its reliability is beyond question) it’s big enough for grand-kids and it’ll handle its share of dirt-road action.
If you can’t find an Aurion, a V6 Camry is a good alternative, offering a similar level of interior space, performance and lots of value for money. A later-model example will also have side-curtain air-bags to protect rear-seat passengers. And when the word honesty is used in the context of cars, a Toyota Camry is one of the first mental images to appear.
Other Isuzu D-Max problems
- Why wont the RPM of my 2015 Isuzu D-Max go higher than 2500?
- Why doesn't the radio work in my 2016 Isuzu D-Max?
- Is the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or VW Amarok best for towing a 2.8 tonne caravan?
- Mitsubishi Triton 2016 or Isuzu D-Max 2015: Which one should I buy?
- What is the fuel economy like in the 2020 Isuzu D-Max?
- Isuzu D-Max 2020: Updates
- What do you recommend for towing a horse trailer and large draft-horse?
- Isuzu D-Max 2010: Do the front wheel bearings need repacking every 30,000 kms?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Isuzu
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?