What car should I buy?
- Isuzu D-Max
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota C-HR
- Toyota Aurion
- Isuzu Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Isuzu D-Max Reviews
- Toyota Camry Reviews
- Toyota C-HR Reviews
- Toyota Aurion Reviews
Asked by Kathy
I'm currently looking to buy a new car and never had to do this before. My late husband was the car expert in our relationship. I currently drive a 2007 Toyota Aurion Sportivo and love it. Unfortunately it has close to 300,000km on it and I need to replace it.
I drive approximately 20km each way to work daily and have to drive on a small strip of dirt road. I travel occasionally, and as such, would like a car with power and pick-up and room for grandchildren.
I was set on buying a 2020 Toyota C-HR Koba but I haven't been overly impressed with the reviews. I also like the Isuzu MU-X. I want something that is honest and reliable and that will hold its value.
Answered by CarsGuide28 Mar 2020
Boy, there’s a big difference between a Toyota CH-R and an Isuzu MU-X, Kathy. Rarely would both those models make it to the same short-list. In any case, the problem you’ll face is that buying any brand-new car involves waving goodbye to a large chunk of its residual value the same day you drive it home for the first time.
Who is advising you to get rid of the Toyota? I’ve seen plenty of V6 Toyotas with more than 300,000km showing and still going strong. And if the mileage does worry you, what about finding a low-kilometre second-hand Aurion and pocketing the many thousands of dollars you’ve saved by not buying a brand-new car? You already know you love the way the Aurion drives (and its reliability is beyond question) it’s big enough for grand-kids and it’ll handle its share of dirt-road action.
If you can’t find an Aurion, a V6 Camry is a good alternative, offering a similar level of interior space, performance and lots of value for money. A later-model example will also have side-curtain air-bags to protect rear-seat passengers. And when the word honesty is used in the context of cars, a Toyota Camry is one of the first mental images to appear.
Other Isuzu D-Max problems
- Does the 2014 Isuzu D-Max have a DPF filter in the exhaust system?
- Will a 2006 Isuzu nudge bar fit on my new 2021 Isuzu D-Max.
- What can I do after the engine cover arms of my 2019 Isuzu D-Max broke after being serviced?
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- Why doesn't my Android connect via Bluetooth in my 2017 Isuzu D-Max?
- Why wont the RPM of my 2015 Isuzu D-Max go higher than 2500?
- Why doesn't the radio work in my 2016 Isuzu D-Max?
- Is the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or VW Amarok best for towing a 2.8 tonne caravan?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- Why your ultimate outback adventure vehicle...
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Isuzu
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cheapest electric car in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
Why your ultimate outback adventure vehicle is not an EV, yet | Opinion
Top five electric SUVs in Australia