Volvo XC90 2008: Is more than 200,000km a worry?
- Volvo XC90
- Volvo XC90 2008
- Volvo Advice
- Volvo XC90 Reviews
- Volvo SUV Range
- Buyers Guide
- Buying tips
- Family Cars
- 7 seater
Asked by Emily
I'm looking to buy a secondhand car and have my heart set on a Volvo XC90. For my price range I'm looking at around a 2008 model, but with age comes km. What advice would you give about considering a car like this with over 200,000 km?
Answered by CarsGuide4 Jan 2019
You’re right to be concerned about buying a car with a high mileage.
While it’s tempting to buy a car that was once out of our financial reach now that the price has down to a point you can afford it you have to think about the future rather than the now. How long do you plan to keep it, and how many kays will it do while you own it. If you plan to keep it three years it will have close to 300,000 km when you want to sell it. You have to ask yourself if you can afford to have it repaired if something goes wrong. Volvos are no better or worse than other European cars, but like all European brands they tend to be more expensive to repair when they break down. Buying secondhand is not like buying new when all the cars are the same. All secondhand cars are different, they’ve been driven by different people, they’ve been subjected to different climates and road conditions, they’ve been serviced at varying frequencies by different service mechanics, some factory trained, some backyarders, some have done more kilometres than others, etc., etc.
The best advice is to buy the best car, with the lowest odometer reading, with the best service history, that’s been owned by the fussiest owner.
Other Volvo XC90 problems
- Are the any issues with the transmission or engine in the 2009 Volvo XC90 diesel?
- is the Volvo XC90 worth the extra money over A Mazda CX-9?
- Replacing Volvo XC90 rear diff
- Coverage of new XC90?
- Good second-hand seven-seat SUV?
- XC90 overheated
- Best people mover for $15,000?
- What's a lemon?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volvo
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?