Are the any issues with the transmission or engine in the 2009 Volvo XC90 diesel?
- Volvo XC90
- Volvo Advice
- Volvo XC90 Reviews
- Volvo SUV Range
- Family Cars
- 7 seater
- Prestige & Luxury Cars
Asked by Alan
Answered by CarsGuide10 Sep 2020
There are many variables that can determine how reliable or or otherwise a vehicle can be, especially one that's 11-years-old. A full Volvo dealer-stamped service history, careful owners and pure luck all play a role here, and should be a prerequisite.
Research shows that the XC90's D5 diesel engine's injectors have been known to fail, and this can be an expensive fix. This may or not be associated with power-loss issues.
Blown turbos, electrical faults and overheating problems have also been reported multiple times.
Some earlier XC90s have been known to suffer from complete transmission failure, reportedly preceded by "strange" noises before bringing the car to a total stop. It seems regular full transmission servicing really reduces the instances of this happening, so again, insist on a fully-stamped service book from authorised Volvo dealers or specialists.
While not strictly speaking mechanical, the Volvo's sunroof can leak, and this can become very costly to rectify. Neglecting this problem can then lead to electrical failures and water ingress damage inside the cabin.
Our research shows the XC90 D5 of your vintage is no more likely to break down than most European rival luxury SUVs of the same period, which is reasonably good news, though Japanese alternatives do perform better generally.
We hope this helps.
Other Volvo XC90 problems
- Volvo XC90 2008: Is more than 200,000km a worry?
- is the Volvo XC90 worth the extra money over A Mazda CX-9?
- Replacing Volvo XC90 rear diff
- Coverage of new XC90?
- Good second-hand seven-seat SUV?
- XC90 overheated
- Best people mover for $15,000?
- What's a lemon?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volvo
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?