Volkswagen Polo 2016: Why is my car reversing when in drive?
- Volkswagen Polo
- Volkswagen Polo 2016
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Polo Reviews
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Lily
My 2016 Volkswagen Polo will go into reverse when I engage in drive, and will then go into drive when I engage reverse. I have to drive with my foot over the brake pedal and the problem can happen at anytime. I've nearly taken out cars behind me and it's a clear safety issue, but Volkswagen says nothing is wrong and that it’s "my driving style", as "the car doesn't hold itself". This happens on flat ground, not just on an incline and is intermittent. Also my mother, sister, and brother have all had this bad experience and do not feel safe in the car. Volkswagen refuse to admit to the problem. On top of this the air-conditioning on one does not work on cold, and when on hot it makes a strange noise and electrical smell with no heat, again Volkswagen say that there is no problem. I have been reporting the problems since the car was bought new, and now they say it's out of warranty, so I will have to pay to fix the problems, if they do diagnose any issues. I believe there is a gearbox/transmission problem or software Issue and also the air-conditioning is faulty too. What should I do?
Answered by CarsGuide20 Sep 2019
Clearly there are problems with your car that require attention. If you’re not getting satisfaction from your dealer, contact VW Australia (1800 607 822) and lodge your complaints with them. If you feel you want to go higher, contact your state’s consumer affairs people and ask for help.
Other Volkswagen Polo problems
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- What can I do about the faulty AEB on my 2018 Volkswagen Polo?
- How is oil mixing with coolant in my 2015 Volkswagen Polo?
- My new used 2010 Volkswagen Polo already has problems, what should I do?
- What is the durability and re-sale value of a used car?
- Volkswagen Polo 2012: Car won't reverse
- Volkswagen Polo 2012: Gearbox failed
- Volkswagen Polo 2014: losing water
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers