Toyota Prado: Transmission fluid replacement
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2005
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Reviews
- Toyota SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Geoff Shaw
At a recent routine service on my 2005 Toyota Prado diesel my Toyota dealership recommended that the auto transmission fluid be replaced, as they say it is dirty. I bought the vehicle new from them and have it serviced by them for the 150,000 km it has done. The cost quoted was $189. Is this necessary? I should mention that about 40,000 km of that 150,000 km has been towing a 2.4-tonne caravan fully loaded. The dealer also said the bonnet struts were weak and need to be replaced at a quoted cost of $600. I don't believe they are a problem, but even if they were, surely they could be re-gassed or re-conditioned or replaced with after market cheaper alternatives. Your thoughts on both issues would be appreciated.
Answered by CarsGuide25 Aug 2011
I would have the transmission serviced, particularly as you obviously do a lot of towing as relatively heavy loads. And like you I would expect the bonnet struts could be re-gassed if they are a problem. Dealers normally go for the most efficient option for them and replacing them with new components out of their parts department is much faster and cheaper than sending the struts out for re-gassing and waiting for them to come back to be refitted. That all takes time and costs the dealer time, money and efficiency in his workshop. And don't expect the dealer to use aftermarket parts when he can make more money out of selling you some nice, shiny, new factory parts.
Other Toyota Land Cruiser Prado problems
- The paint on my 2007 Toyota Prado is peeling off, what should I do?
- Can I replace the master cylinder on my 2000 Toyota Prado with a second-hand one?
- Why is the media screen on my 2015 Toyota LandCruiser Prado now in Japanese?
- How much is my 2011 Toyota Landcruiser Prado worth?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Toyota LandCruiser Prado: What's the difference between the 2018 and 2019 GXL models?
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2013: Radio problems
- 2014 LandCruiser Prado: Wobble in steering wheel.
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
12 best EVs available in Australia
When to use low range in your 4x4
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?