Tale of two veterans
- Holden Commodore
- Toyota Camry
- Holden Commodore 1982
- Toyota Camry 1992
- Holden Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Holden Commodore Reviews
- Toyota Camry Reviews
- Holden Sedan Range
- Holden Wagon Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Toyota Wagon Range
- First Car
Asked by Chris Cogdon
I am a 17-year-old learner driver looking to buy my first car. I am going to look at a 1982 VH Commodore station wagon with 64,000km on the clock, that has been driven regularly, as well as a 1992 Camry executive sedan that has done less than 98,000km. Both are automatic. Are there any problems that I should look out for?
Answered by CarsGuide8 May 2003
I assume the VH Commodore is a six, which was a new updated XT6 version of the venerable pushrod Holden six. While it was improved over the previous versions of the engine it was still quite inefficient even by 1982 standards. The Trimatic three-speed should have plenty of life left in it, but check the oil and make sure it's nice and red. Also make sure the shifts are smooth and precise with no sign of flaring on part or full throttle. Check the body for rust, particularly in the lower sections of the front guards, the lower sections of the doors, around the rear side windows and around the tail gate and rear window. The Camry has lots of life left in it, but it is near the mileage where major servicing could be needed. The Camry is most likely to be in better condition overall than the Commodore, which can be expected to be riddled with squeaks and rattles in the body.
Other Holden Commodore problems
- What transmission box do I have in my 2007 Holden Commodore VE?
- What oil goes into a 1998 Holden Commodore?
- Why is my 2005 Holden Commodore overheating?
- Will a column-shift auto from a 1999 Holden Commodore ute fit into a 1996 model?
- What type of differential is fitted to the 2001 Holden Commodore?
- Holden Commodore 2010: Does this model suffer from the timing chain issue?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Holden Commodore 2002: Engine misfiring
Most viewed in Advice
- Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV...
- Electric car battery recycling explained
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV battery manufacturers explained
Electric car battery recycling explained
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
12 best EVs available in Australia