Should I buy a 2009 Holden Captiva?
- Holden Captiva
- Holden Captiva 2009
- Holden Advice
- Holden Captiva Reviews
- Holden SUV Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Rhonda
I'm looking at buying a 2009 four-cylinder Holden Captiva 5. I have searched the car for reviews but haven't found much about this make and model. Lots about other Holden Captivas but not the 2009. Is it a good car? Does it have many issues?
Answered by CarsGuide14 Oct 2020
The short answer to your question Rhonda is that the 2009 Captiva was far from a good car. It has experienced lots of reliability and durability problems and, although some will disagree, there are much better choices out there.
The Captiva has been recalled for all manner of problems including (but not limited to) steering issues, braking dramas and electrical gremlins. About the best thing about the 2009 four-cylinder petrol Captiva was that the engine didn’t have the timing chain problems of the V6 model, and the transmission wasn’t as problematic as the later Captiva. But that’s surely damning with faint praise.
The Captiva wasn’t actually a Holden at all; it was built in South Korea by Daewoo, a brand considered to be way behind the quality and engineering of its South Korean counterparts Kia and Hyundai. And it showed.
Other Holden Captiva problems
- What caused my 2013 Holden Captiva to lose power and stop?
- What could be causing a vibration and metallic noise in my 2009 Holden Captiva LT?
- Does the 2013 Holden Captiva have diesel particulate filter issues?
- Is the 2012 Holden Captiva prone to transmission issues?
- What is causing my 2009 Holden Captiva to run poorly?
- Why is the 4WD light coming on in my 2010 Holden Captiva?
- Holden Captiva 2009: Should I replace a leaking turbo?
- Holden Captiva 2007: Why is the engine smoking?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Stamp duty for cars explained
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Stamp duty for cars explained
12 best EVs available in Australia
When to use low range in your 4x4