Renault Megane 2015: Warranty on DPF unit block
- Renault Megane
- Renault Megane 2015
- Renault Advice
- Renault Megane Reviews
- Renault Convertible Range
- Renault Hatchback Range
- Renault Sedan Range
- Renault Wagon Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Stephen
My 2015 Renault Megane has a warranty that expires in late May 2019. I have a diesel engine and the DPF unit blocked in November last year and the fixing cost is around $700. I went to the dealer and Renault Australia for a refund, but both said it was outside of warranty because it was caused by driving style (not long enough and not fast enough to trigger the auto regeneration process). But my point is, as a new diesel user, I was not informed in any verbal/written form by either dealer at: 1) purchasing stage; 2) new car collection stage; or 3) by Renault Australia through their user manual, about the 'special' driving style required to maintain healthy diesel engine. I am now communicating with both of them and also contacting consumer business service in SA. Do I have a fair ground to win the refund of that cost?
Answered by CarsGuide3 May 2019
I understand your frustration; I also agree that diesel buyers should be made aware of the possible consequences resulting from the way they will use the car. Blocking of the DPF because of being used on short, low speed trips is quite common across most brands, so it could be argued that you should have done you homework and known that. As to whether you have good grounds for a refund I can’t say, but I suspect you could request a refund, or part refund, as a gesture of good will from Renault.
Other Renault Megane problems
- Renault Megane RS Cup 280 2019: Warranty issues
- Which hatchback should I buy?
- Has my dealer cheated me?
- How long do customers wait for replacement parts?
- Best car for a sales rep?
- Renault Megane using too much oil?
- Megane door lock failure
- Capped price servicing for the Megane RS265
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Renault
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
When to use low range in your 4x4
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?