Mitsubishi Pajero: Problem with the EGR valve
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2007
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2013
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
Asked by Terry Fitzgerald
My brother and I own Mitsubishi Pajero diesels, his is an NS while mine is a NT. Recently he lost all power and the engine warning light came on and it went into limp mode. The dealer told him that there was a problem with the EGR valve and the manifolds would need to be replaced. Some $2500 later he got his car back. The service man told him that it is a common problem, especially with NS models, as the EGR pipe is only 2mm in diameter and the new one is 6mm and it should not happen again. He also said that this is common problem with nearly all new diesels due to the emission regulations. Can this problem be diagnosed prior to the valve/pipe actually blocking? Should Mitsubishi come to the party and pay part of the costs as a goodwill gesture? Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Answered by CarsGuide18 Oct 2013
I don't believe there is a way of detecting the problem before it actually happens, except maybe to remove the EGR valves and manifolds and clean them, and that's probably worth doing if you're concerned about it happening on your car. I do also think Mitsubishi should come to the party and cover at least part of the cost of repairs.
Other Mitsubishi Pajero problems
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- What is causing my 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero to blow black smoke, jolt through gears and only go 60km/h?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002: Is 324,000kms too many?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010: What problems are there with this model?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: What can I claim from insurance?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2009: Why isn't the accelerator working?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2003: Why is the four-wheel drive symbol flashing?
Most viewed in Advice
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking...
- Best cars for P platers
- How much does a car salesperson earn in...
- Caravan vs camper trailer vs motorhome - how...
- Cars that start with X
- Everything you need to know to pass your...
- Is it illegal for passengers to drink in a...
- Selling your car privately or to a dealer
- 4x4 or 4x2 high rider ute | which is best for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking affordable vehicles
Best cars for P platers
How much does a car salesperson earn in Australia?
Caravan vs camper trailer vs motorhome - how to choose the right one for you
Cars that start with X
Everything you need to know to pass your driving test (update)
Is it illegal for passengers to drink in a car?
Selling your car privately or to a dealer
4x4 or 4x2 high rider ute | which is best for me?