Mitsubishi Pajero 2002: Is 324,000kms too many?
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
Asked by Renee
I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Pajero. If the vehicle has been looked after and regularly serviced, does the motor still have much life left in it when it's already at 324,000kms?
Answered by CarsGuide23 May 2020
Engines are amazing things, Renee. Neglected, they can fall to bits in a surprisingly short space of time. But treat them properly with the correct preventative maintenance and you’d be surprised how far they’ll go before they wear out.
What you haven’t told me is whether your vehicle is diesel or petrol powered. That said, both the diesel and petrol engines fitted to this model Pajero are well regarded in the trade and capable of going the distance if, as you claim, the servicing has been by the book. Over the distance you’ve quoted, I’d expect the diesel to have needed possibly a new turbocharger and definitely new fuel-injectors, while the petrol V6 can cover this distance without any major work.
But while the engine might, indeed, have lots of life left in it, what about all the other components? The brake rotors, shock absorbers, transmission and many other intrinsic parts of the vehicle wear out, too. So, just because the engine is fit and healthy, doesn’t mean the rest of the car will be so tip-top and ready for another 300,000km.
Other Mitsubishi Pajero problems
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- What is causing my 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero to blow black smoke, jolt through gears and only go 60km/h?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010: What problems are there with this model?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: What can I claim from insurance?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2009: Why isn't the accelerator working?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2003: Why is the four-wheel drive symbol flashing?
- Mitsubishi Pajero: Remote key replacement
Most viewed in Advice
- Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know about the seven-time F1 drivers champion
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia