Mazda CX-9 2015: Broken seat heigh adjuster.
Asked by Leisa
The manual driver’s seat height adjuster is broken in my 2015 Mazda CX-9. It will not go down. My Mazda dealer has told me it needs a full base replacement. The replacement cost, including labour, was eye watering - north of $2000. Can this part be replaced by other mechanics? I can’t find the part on the internet anywhere.
Answered by CarsGuide21 Mar 2020
This is a classic case of the dealer quoting you the factory price for the factory part. Which means the part will be brand-new and identical to the one that’s broken. The problem with parts like these is that they don’t tend to break very often, so there are no cheaper brands of replacement parts available.
The first thing to do would be to try an independent workshop, maybe even a Mazda specialist, who is very likely to be able to carry out this job for considerably less money (and I agree; $2000-plus to replace a manual seat base in a five-year-old car is getting up there).
Your second option is to do what older-car owners having been doing for decades and hit the wrecking yards. You’re looking for a crashed CX-9 which an undamaged seat base. Which, if it’s the same model and trim level, should bolt right in with few hassles. Make sure the replacement base you’ve found hasn’t been bent, twisted or otherwise damaged in the crash that led the car to the wrecking yard in the first place. But all things being equal, it would be a simple job for a competent mechanic and could save you many hundreds of dollars.
To be honest, like you, I’m a bit surprised at the quoted price for a new seat base, given that the adjuster is a manual one and not electrically-powered, which should mean it’s a pretty simple device.
Other Mazda CX-9 problems
- Mazda 9 - Will we ever see a successor to the 929?
- Are there plans for a new Mazda CX-9?
- How much should I pay to replace the transfer-case on my 2010 Mazda CX-9?
- What are the best 7-seat SUV's?
- Does the Holden Acadia 2019 have enough space for three baby seats?
- Mazda CX-9 2009: Are there any recalls for this car?
- What is the most expensive Mazda?
- Mazda CX-9: Replacement key cost
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?