Mazda BT-50 2017: How should I be towing with my car?
Asked by Steve
I tow a caravan up around 2900 kg with my XTR 2017 Mazda BT-50 2 two-door Freestyle-cab 4×4 3.2 litre. I generally tow in Sport mode on the open road in fifth gear at 90 to 100 km/h and it does it easily, my question is, am I towing in the correct manner, and since I tow in a lower gear would the next size up tyres aid me in any way?
Answered by CarsGuide21 Dec 2019
Opinions are divided on this subject, Steve, but there’s a school of thought that says you shouldn’t tow anything heavy in an overdrive gear. Manual-gearbox Toyota LandCruisers of the last 30 years or so are prime examples of this, and hauling a heavy load in fifth gear in these can destroy a gearbox real quick. But all vehicles will be better off with overdrive locked out while towing; it’s just kinder to the driveline. So, your decision to tow in fifth gear rather than sixth is a sound one.
The only catch with some vehicles is that both fifth and sixth gears are overdriven. But fifth gear in the BT-50’s automatic gearbox is not, it’s 1:1, so you should be fine as long as you don’t exceed the manufacturer’s towing limits at any stage.
As for putting bigger wheels and tyres on the BT-50, you’d actually be altering the gearing, making it taller, which means the vehicle may not cover ground as effortlessly as it does now. Hills and headwinds might require more throttle, too, and that will mean higher fuel consumption.
Other Mazda BT-50 problems
- Why is my 2019 Mazda BT-50 is losing traction?
- Why is my 2015 Mazda BT-50 losing power?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
- Are the fifth and sixth gears in my 2016 Mazda BT-50 overdrive gears?
- Why does the transmission in my 2017 Mazda BT-50 take so long to engage?
- Why has the transmission light come on in my 2012 Mazda BT-50?
- Is there an allowable tolerance for the fitment of the aluminium tray on my 2020 Mazda BT-50?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cars that start with G
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cars that start with G