Is it worth getting a secondhand replacement engine for my 2004 Kia Carnival?
- Kia Carnival
- Kia Carnival 2004
- Kia Advice
- Kia Carnival Reviews
- Kia People mover Range
- Kia Wagon Range
- People mover
Asked by Louise
I own a 2004 Kia Carnival automatic, which is idling rough and blowing grey smoke at start-up. It also periodically doesn't have as much power on acceleration as it had. A bottle of Risolone did improve matters, but it's also burning oil. I've monitored the overflow on the radiator, I cannot detect that the water is decreasing. My mechanic believes the head gasket is going and has told me that these cars were renowned for this problem because of the poor engines. My mechanic has indicated that he could work on the head gasket, but I would be better with an engine replacement. Otherwise, the car is in good condition, and has only done 112,000 km. I have not yet approached Kia, but my mechanic has quoted around $6000, which is about what the car is insured for. However, I have a mechanic friend who works on cars, who has advised he and a mate are happy to do the work if I can find a secondhand replacement engine. I've found a secondhand 2006 manual Carnival with a 2.5-litre engine at the other end of the state. What I was wondering, was whether that model still had the issues of the 2004 engine? Also, would there be any problems putting an engine from a manual car into an automatic?
Answered by CarsGuide13 Jul 2018
It is likely that there is a head gasket problem; it was a common issue with the early Carnival. Buying a secondhand engine is inviting trouble. It could also be struck down with the same problem and you could find yourself back in the same situation. I would be doing the head gasket rather than buying a secondhand engine, that way you know it is fixed.
Other Kia Carnival problems
- Kia Carnival 2018: Can the software be updated to support Android Auto?
- Kia Carnival 2005: Where can I find an electrical wiring manual?
- What are the best 7-seat SUV's?
- Kia Carnival 2017: Error message on nav
- What is the most expensive Kia?
- Is a 2015 Kia Carnival S worth it?
- How does the LDV G10 compare to the Hyundai iMax and Kia Carnival?
- What could be setting off the front sensors on my Kia Carnival?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cars that start with G
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cars that start with G