Best SUV for towing a caravan?
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Volkswagen Touareg
- Land Rover Discovery 4
- Land Rover Discovery 4 2016
- Volkswagen Touareg 2016
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2016
- Land Rover Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Volkswagen Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Reviews
- Volkswagen Touareg Reviews
- Land Rover Discovery 4 Reviews
- Land Rover SUV Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Volkswagen SUV Range
- Land Rover
- Family Cars
- Off road
Asked by David Alley
You recently had a Head-to-Head between the Porsche Cayenne and Volkswagen Touareg. My wife and I are looking to buy a vehicle to start towing a caravan. The maximum will be 3.5 tonnes and visiting numerous national parks around the country will be the limit of our planned off-roading. We are newbies, so reliability and related back-up are important considerations. Currently, we are considering a 2016 VW Touareg V6 TDI or a Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE. Are there other vehicles we should check before making a decision? What's your verdict?
Answered by CarsGuide28 Jun 2016
I would take the Touareg over the Discovery but the real outback towing champion is the Toyota LandCruiser — which gets a big tick from me — because of its bulletproof reliability and Toyota's service network. The badge is not as prestigious and it will cost more for a fully luxury package but the 200-Series 'Cruiser is still The King.
Other Volkswagen Touareg problems
- What do you recommend for towing a horse trailer and large draft-horse?
- Volkswagen Touareg 2007: GVM and GCM
- What car should I buy for $70,000?
- Why is my 2015 Volkswagen Touareg oversteering?
- What would be the better SUV between the Volkswagen Touareg, BMW X5 and Toyota Prado?
- Range Rover Sport, Touareg or Grand Cherokee?
- Upgrading to 2012-2014 Touareg 180
- Good large SUV for towing?