Are there any problems with the diesel engines in the 2017 Hyundai iLoad?
- Hyundai iLoad
- Hyundai Advice
- Hyundai iLoad Reviews
- Hyundai Commercial Range
- Buying tips
- Car Servicing
Asked by Wayne
Answered by CarsGuide16 Sep 2020
Hyundai’s diesel engines are generally regarded as being among the better ones on the market. That’s probably because the South Korean domestic market has been switched on to small capacity diesels for decades and, as a result, Hyundai has been building them just as long.
But, like any modern turbo-diesel, the iLoad’s diesel can be prone to a build-up of black gunk in the intake system, a result of diesel soot and oil mist mixing as part of the vehicle’s own emissions-control systems. The other problem that has cropped up a few times now is a failed turbocharger unit. Generally, this has been the result of a blocked oilway that feeds lubricating oil to the turbo’s bearing. This is a narrow oilway and any sludge in the engine can block it and starve the turbo of its oil. Which is when the turbo itself fails.
That’s far more likely to happen in a vehicle that has not had the correct maintenance with regards oil changes. So check the service handbook before handing over the cash and only buy a second-hand iLoad with a full and correct service history.
Other Hyundai iLoad problems
- What is the best van for a camper conversion for less than $15000?
- Hyundai iLoad 2009: Can I replace the engine?
- Hyundai iLoad: How reliable is the engine and turbo?
- Hyundai iLoad 2015: Common problems?
- Do Hyundai iLoad turbochargers 'blow up'?
- Should I buy an iLoad with 200,000 km?
- iLoad gearbox whine
- iLoad model year clarification
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?