Why is the fuel consumption of my 2019 Isuzu MU-X getting worse?
- Isuzu MU-X
- Isuzu MU-X 2019
- Isuzu Advice
- Isuzu MU-X Reviews
- Isuzu SUV Range
- People mover
- 7 seater
- Family Cars
Asked by John
I've had the Isuzu MU-X 2019 auto for about 8 months and 9000km now, and the fuel consumption has got even worse since new. It’s now at 11.7 litres per 100km. That’s far from the official worse case of somewhere in the 9's. I live in the country and do 90 per cent high speed driving and no towing. Any thoughts?
Answered by CarsGuide27 Jun 2020
My initial thought is that 11 or 12 litres per 100km for an overall average is about what I would have expected. These are not small cars, they’re not light and they have fairly ordinary aerodynamics.
What you need to keep in mind is that the official fuel consumption figure is a number achieved on a very specific test cycle that in no way approximates a real-world experience. Car makers go to great lengths to nail a good number on these tests (for marketing purposes) often at the expense of real-world fuel economy. Yes, it does seem crazy, doesn’t it?
You also mentioned you use your car mostly for high-speed driving. What’s your definition of high speed? Thanks to the aerodynamics of vehicles like the MU-X an extra 10km/h at freeway speeds can have a huge effect on economy. Even removing a roof-rack when you’re not using it can save a litre per 100km.
Other Isuzu MU-X problems
- Why is my 2017 Isuzu MU-X struggling to make power?
- What does the "check system" error code mean in the Isuzu M-UX?
- Isuzu MU-X 2016: Problems after servicing
- What do you recommend for towing a horse trailer and large draft-horse?
- Isuzu MU-X 2018: How much can my car tow?
- Isuzu MU-X 2017: How do I fix broken back seats?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Why is my Isuzu MU-X LST 2016 stalling?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Isuzu
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?