Why is the fuel consumption of my 2019 Isuzu MU-X getting worse?
- Isuzu MU-X
- Isuzu MU-X 2019
- Isuzu Advice
- Isuzu MU-X Reviews
- Isuzu SUV Range
- 7 seater
- Family Cars
Asked by John
I've had the Isuzu MU-X 2019 auto for about 8 months and 9000km now, and the fuel consumption has got even worse since new. It’s now at 11.7 litres per 100km. That’s far from the official worse case of somewhere in the 9's. I live in the country and do 90 per cent high speed driving and no towing. Any thoughts?
Answered by CarsGuide27 Jun 2020
My initial thought is that 11 or 12 litres per 100km for an overall average is about what I would have expected. These are not small cars, they’re not light and they have fairly ordinary aerodynamics.
What you need to keep in mind is that the official fuel consumption figure is a number achieved on a very specific test cycle that in no way approximates a real-world experience. Car makers go to great lengths to nail a good number on these tests (for marketing purposes) often at the expense of real-world fuel economy. Yes, it does seem crazy, doesn’t it?
You also mentioned you use your car mostly for high-speed driving. What’s your definition of high speed? Thanks to the aerodynamics of vehicles like the MU-X an extra 10km/h at freeway speeds can have a huge effect on economy. Even removing a roof-rack when you’re not using it can save a litre per 100km.
Other Isuzu MU-X problems
- What car should I get to tow a 22-foot caravan around Australia?
- Is it worth waiting for the new Isuzu MU-X?
- Why is my 2017 Isuzu MU-X struggling to make power?
- What does the "check system" error code mean in the Isuzu M-UX?
- Isuzu MU-X 2016: Problems after servicing
- What do you recommend for towing a horse trailer and large draft-horse?
- Isuzu MU-X 2018: How much can my car tow?
- Isuzu MU-X 2017: How do I fix broken back seats?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- A guide to converting your old car to...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Isuzu
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
A guide to converting your old car to electric
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?