Why is my '01 Toyota Hiace hard to start on a cold morning?
- Toyota HiAce
- Toyota HiAce 2001
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota HiAce Reviews
- Toyota Commercial Range
Asked by Dave
My 2001 Toyota Touring Hiace (Regius) with the 2.7-litre petrol engine is very difficult to start on cold wet mornings. I really have to work the accelerator, she tries to fire up, but just splutters. If I do get her to run, I have to sit and warm the engine for 3 or 4 minutes, because she has no pulling power! Once started, she starts well for the rest of the day. I have changed the plugs, cleaned the carburettor, and airflow sensor. A garage has suggested the fuel pump is not providing enough pressure. Could this be the problem, or is there anything else for me to try?
Answered by CarsGuide23 Feb 2018
If it’s starting ok at other times then it won’t the fuel pump. It’s more likely to be a sensor that’s at fault, the computer isn’t getting the message that it’s cold and it’s not giving any cold enrichment, which the engine needs to start and run while the engine warms up. Have your mechanic check the temperature sensor.
Other Toyota HiAce problems
- Why does my 2007 Toyota Hiace make a whistling noise?
- Toyota HiAce 2003: Which variant is the best?
- Toyota HiAce 2018: Whistling sound
- Toyota HiAce 1987: What's it worth?
- Are imported cars safer?
- Hyundai iLoad: How reliable is the engine and turbo?
- Why is my 2001 Toyota HiAce hard to start on cold mornings?
- How to start a car in the cold
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Grey nomad vehicles: five best options to...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Grey nomad vehicles: five best options to travel Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers