Why does my 2007 Toyota Hiace make a whistling noise?
- Toyota HiAce
- Toyota HiAce 2007
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota HiAce Reviews
- Toyota Commercial Range
Asked by Mamin
My Toyota Hiace 2007 makes a whistling noise when pressing the accelerator pedal. What could be the problem?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Nov 2020
I’ll take a stab in the dark here and suggest that your van is a turbo-diesel (there was a petrol version offered as well, but the diesel was much more popular). If that’s the case, you could be dealing with a turbocharger that’s showing wear. Specifically, this is likely to be in the turbo’s bearing which will become noisy (and potentially emit a whistling noise) as the bearing starts to degrade. Turbochargers often spin at speeds of up to 250,000rpm, so the bearing really has its work cut out.
The clue to all this is that the vehicle starts whistling when you press the throttle; that is, when you place a load on the engine and ask the turbocharger to start providing boost. That’s when the worn bearing becomes loaded (and noisy). But you could also be looking at something much simpler such as an exhaust that has collapsed internally and is offering a whistling soundtrack, or even a loose piece of intake plumbing that is also allowing the air passing over it to whistle. Perhaps there’s something in the gearbox that is making a high-pitched noise as well. You really need to have the vehicle looked at by somebody who knows their HiAces and take it from there.
Other Toyota HiAce problems
- Toyota HiAce 2003: Which variant is the best?
- Toyota HiAce 2018: Whistling sound
- Toyota HiAce 1987: What's it worth?
- Are imported cars safer?
- Hyundai iLoad: How reliable is the engine and turbo?
- Why is my 2001 Toyota HiAce hard to start on cold mornings?
- Why is my '01 Toyota Hiace hard to start on a cold morning?
- How to start a car in the cold
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Best small cars under $20,000
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Australia's Top 6 Pop Top Camper Trailers
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Best small cars under $20,000
When to use low range in your 4x4
Australia's Top 6 Pop Top Camper Trailers
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list