Which of the Toyota LandCruiser is the most best?
Asked by Gary
Answered by CarsGuide27 Apr 2021
Only two six-cylinder diesel options were available in the LandCruiser from 2000 onwards. The 100 Series used a 4.2-litre turbo-diesel six-cylinder (dubbed the 1HD-FTE) which has lots of performance and a great reputation for reliability and durability. The base-model version of the 100 Series (officially known as the 105 Series) used the non-turbocharged 4.2-litre six-cylinder diesel (the 1HZ) which is even more long-lived with many owners recording more that half-a-million kilometres without major issues. The catch is that the 1HZ with just 96kW of power and 285Nm of torque felt pretty underwhelming in the relatively heavy LandCruiser. The turbocharged 1HD-FTE, meanwhile, could muster up a more meaningful 151kW and 430Nm. Both those engine options ran until the end of the 100 Series which was eventually replaced by the 200 Series in 2007. At that point, the only diesel engine offered was the twin-turbo V8 diesel. Early examples of this engine gave some problems, but Toyota made running changes to improve that and the V8 Diesel is now also highly regarded.
Other Toyota Land Cruiser problems
- Should I buy a 2014 Toyota LandCruiser if there is visible rust?
- Is the rear bumper interchangeable between a 1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado and a 1998 Prado Grande?
- Will the new 2021 Toyota Landcruiser 300 Series have the centre console fridge?
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- Toyota LandCruiser 2016:
- Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series: What is the height of the running board?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2014: Is this a good car to buy second-hand?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 1998: What is the towing power of this car?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
Cheapest electric car in Australia