What octane rating fuel should I be using in my 2014 Ford Focus?
- Ford Focus
- Ford Focus 2014
- Ford Advice
- Ford Focus Reviews
- Ford Hatchback Range
- Ford Sedan Range
Asked by Shane
What octane rating fuel should I be using in my 2014 Ford Focus? I have been using 91 octane, but lately it has been running slightly rough. When it was serviced, I asked my mechanic to investigate. They couldn't find anything wrong and suggested I start using 95 octane fuel.
Answered by CarsGuide8 Feb 2021
Your car requires an octane rating of 91 RON and, to be honest, the biggest difference in using the more expensive 95 or even 98 RON brew will probably be to your wallet, not the car. Changing to a higher octane rating is not really a scientific way of fixing problems like rough running, and there’s probably another reason for the poor performance.
I’d be scanning the car electronically for a clue to what’s going wrong with it, but bear in mind rough running can be caused by lots of things. If you really want to pursue the fuel you’re using as a potential cause of the problem, rather than change to 95 RON, change the service station you use. Sometimes, a service station can have contaminated underground tanks and this can cause all sorts of running problems by the time the dirty fuel is in your tank. Another hint: If you see a fuel tanker delivering fuel to a service station as you pull up to refuel, find another service station. The fresh fuel being pumped into the underground tank will stir up all sorts of nasties that would otherwise settle at the bottom of the tank. By filling up immediately after the station’s tanks have been filled, you stand a good chance of buying a tankful of dirty fuel.
Other Ford Focus problems
- What is the best dog-friendly car?
- Will a 2004 Ford Focus 2.0 manual clutch plate work in a 2009 Ford Focus?
- Which generation Focus can I use to replace a window on a 2016 Ford Focus?
- Where is the fuel filter located in my 2010 Ford Focus?
- Can I use a 2001 Ford Focus motor in my 2002 Ford Focus?
- Can I upgrade the steering wheel for a 2007 Ford Focus to add more controls?
- Would a 2004 Ford Focus sedan windshield fit in 2002 Ford Focus hatchback?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers