What are the spots on my rear window?
- Toyota Corolla
- Ford Falcon
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota Corolla 2016
- Ford Falcon 2016
- Toyota Camry 2016
- Ford Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Corolla Reviews
- Ford Falcon Reviews
- Toyota Camry Reviews
- Ford Sedan Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Rod Sutherland
I can see spots appearing in the rear window of the new Falcon I am driving. I have been involved in the automotive industry for approximately 25 years in dealerships with a variety of makes and I do not recall ever seeing this before. These spots range from a 5 to a 10 cent in size and cover the whole rear window nearly in symmetrical lines. I can only see them when I am wearing my polarised sunglasses. They are a greyish white and become distracting when the sun hits the rear window at the right angle. They are visible from both inside and outside the vehicle but only when wearing sunglasses. As I am on the road all the time I need to wear sunglasses for my eye protection. I started looking at all the cars on the road and found most didn't have spots visible but the ones that did were either Ford Falcons or Toyotas Corollas and Camrys, so it appears only some cars manufactured in Australia seem to have it.
Answered by CarsGuide24 Jan 2016
Ford spokesman, Neil McDonald, replies: “We checked with the engineers and both the rear and side widows use tempered glass which can show up the heat-treatment pattern with polarised sunglasses. You need to get the right angle and the right light but you can see this on every piece of rear and side glass in every manufacturer’s product”.
Other Ford Falcon problems
- What is causing my 2001 Ford AU Falcon ute to miss?
- Ford Falcon 2003: Leaking coolant and replacing remote locking
- Ford Falcon 2002: Why does the engine keep cutting out?
- Ford Falcon: Can I use premium unleaded fuel?
- Ford Falcon 2010: Is semi-synthetic oil appropriate for my car?
- What is the best tow vehicle to buy?
- Ford Falcon 2009: Are there issues with the timing chain?
- Ford Falcon 2001: How to change the wiring?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Stamp duty for cars explained
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Stamp duty for cars explained
12 best EVs available in Australia
When to use low range in your 4x4