Toyota HiLux 2007: Camshaft snapped
- Toyota HiLux
- Toyota HiLux 2007
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota HiLux Reviews
- Toyota Ute Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Nathan Chatfield
The camshaft in the 2007 Toyota Hilux Twin Cab diesel I bought at the start of the year has snapped and I have been told by Toyota it needs a whole new motor at the cost of $6500-plus, including labour. It had 36,000 km on it when I bought it and has now done 65,000 km. Toyota has never heard of this happening and cannot explain what could cause this to happen. I work on a dairy farm in the country and live down a gravel road. I have put a lot of money into the ute and need it to provide a safe and reliable transport for my family. I don't have that kind of money. What can I do?
Answered by CarsGuide15 Dec 2011
I would ask Toyota to investigate what appears to be a serious issue with your car, and request that they cover the cost of replacing the engine. If they baulk at that suggestion continue to negotiate with them for part compensation. Carmakers often cover part of the cost in situations like yours.
Other Toyota HiLux problems
- Datsun 720 ute - Were they better than the HiLux?
- Which 4x4 Dual Cab ute should I buy?
- Will Toyota make a 3.3 litre diesel V6 engine in the Fortuner?
- When is the 2021 Toyota HiLux SR5+ being released?
- What is the fuel consumption for a 1999 Toyota Hilux?
- What dual cab 4x4 ute should I buy?
- Can the Toyota HiLux be flat-towed?
- X-Trail or HiLux?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers