Toyota Camry 2012: Can I mix fully synthetic and semi synthetic oils?
Asked by R
I have a 2012 Toyota Camry, can I mix fully synthetic and semi synthetic oils when I do my next oil change? Both are Castrol.
Answered by CarsGuide4 Jan 2020
Let me guess, you did an oil change 12 months ago using semi-synthetic oil and then another one six months ago using fully-synthetic. And now, there’s just enough oil left in either container that, if you combined them, you could do the next oil change without buying more oil. Am I close?
Anyway, the short answer is no, you shouldn’t mix two different types or grades of oil. Remember the old Castrol TV ads; Oils aint oils? Well, it should have been: Oils aint just oils. Oil isn’t just refined crude; a modern automotive engine oil is made up of lots of components, collectively referred to as additives. These additives make oil more effective at both high and low temperatures as well as providing extra protection and sometimes even a cleaning function.
Which is great, but the different additives in different oils sometimes don’t get along too well when they’re mixed. Sometimes they can cancel each other out, at which point you’re suddenly using oil that doesn’t protect as well as it should.
Keep the spare oil from each oil change as a top-up (something you probably won’t need in a relatively new Toyota Camry). And if it’s not needed for that, give the poor old lawn-mower an oil change with the left-overs. How long since the mower or brush-cutter got some love?
Other Toyota Camry problems
- What car should I buy for $5,000?
- Should I buy an electric car now or later?
- Which pre-2010 Toyota Aurion model year is best?
- What is the recommended height and weight of a driver for a 2010 Toyota RAV4?
- What car should I buy?
- Toyota Camry: Can I exchange the space saver for a full size spare?
- Toyota Camry 2019: How safe and reliable is this model?
- Toyota Camry Azura 2001: Why doesn't my car start on hot days?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?